Lemon Meringue Cake
Serves 12-16 (Slices)
For the cake
- 340g caster sugar
- 340g salted butter, softened
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten and at room temperature
- 340g self-raising flour
- Zest of 3 lemons
For the syrup
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 4 tbsps caster sugar
- 1 jar of lemon curd (or see recipe below)
For the meringue
- 270g egg whites (approx. 6 egg whites)
- 450g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
For the Lemon Curd
- 55g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Finely grated rind of 3 lemons
- 200ml lemon juice
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
Light and sweet lemon sponge is coated with pillowy soft Italian meringue which has been blowtorched to transform this cake into a bold showstopper
- Preheat the Miele oven to Fan Plus 150°C. Line and grease the cake tins.
- For the cake, cream the caster sugar, butter and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Gradually and slowly whisk in the eggs.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in the flour. Divide the mixture equally between the three lined cake tins. Place the tins on the baking trays and put in the preheated oven. Bake for 35 minutes or until cooked.
- Whilst the cake is baking, make the lemon syrup. Place the lemon juice into a small saucepan along with the caster sugar. Bring to the boil. Once the caster sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and leave to one side.
- When the cakes have cooked, remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Whilst still warm in their tins, brush with the lemon syrup.
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, remove from the tins. Sandwich the three layers together, with lemon curd between the layers, leaving the top plain.
- For the meringue, place the egg whites, caster sugar and cream of tartar into a clean metal bowl, or the metal bowl of a free standing mixer.
- Place over a pan of simmering water and using a hand held mixer whisk for 4 – 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove from the heat, and transfer the mixing bowl to the free standing mixer on high speed for a further 4-5 minutes, or continue to mix with the hand held whisk, off the heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Cover the cake with the meringue mixture, leaving texture and peaks on the meringue.
- Using a blow torch, toast the meringue to give the cake some colour. Store at room temperature and serve within 2-3 days.
For the Lemon Curd
- Place the butter, lemon rind and lemon juice into a medium-sized microwavable bowl. Heat for 2 minutes on 850W.
- Stir in the sugar and cook for 3½ minutes at 850W. Remove from the microwave and stir well until the sugar has dissolved, then beat in the eggs.
- Cook for a further 6 minutes at 600W, whisking thoroughly after every minute until the curd has thickened.
- Strain into a sterilised jar. Store in the fridge for up to a month.